Male sexual abuse is a deeply traumatic experience for men. This can have long-lasting effects on survivors, regardless of their gender. Discussions about sexual abuse often focus on female victims. Yet, it’s important to remember males can be victims too.
In the United States, an estimated 16% of males experience sexual abuse before the age of 18. These alarming statistics highlight the unique challenges faced by male survivors. Dr. Raymond Zakhari, NP, is a compassionate and experienced healthcare professional. He helps men navigate the complexities of healing from male sexual abuse. In this article, we’ll explore why some men are reluctant to seek help. It will also shed light on the impact and dynamics of male sexual abuse.
Fear of Disclosure and Judgment
There are many reasons a man is unwilling to open up about past sexual trauma and abuse. Here are two reasons one may be reluctant to talk about it:
1. A significant barrier that prevents men from seeking help is the fear of disclosure. Society often spreads harmful stereotypes surrounding male sexual abuse. For example, the notion that men should be strong and invulnerable. This fear can lead to feelings of shame, guilt, and isolation. Yet, is essential to understand that seeking support is a sign of strength. Survivors deserve compassion and understanding.
2. Another reason men may be reluctant to seek help is the fear of appearing deviant, feminine, or gay. These societal prejudices further add to the trauma. It makes it difficult for survivors to open up about their experiences. It’s important to challenge stereotypes and create a safe space. A place where men feel comfortable discussing their struggles without judgment.
The Impact of Male Sexual Abuse
1. Gender Identity Confusion is common with survivors. Abuse can often lead to confusion and questioning of one’s gender identity. Survivors often struggle with their sense of self. They also experience difficulties establishing a healthy and positive relationship with their masculinity.
2. Survivors of abuse often feel intense emotions. These feelings and emotions can be traumatic (eg, rage, blame, and shame.) These emotions are a natural response to the violation of personal boundaries. The healing process involves survivors finding a safe and non-judgmental environment. Thay way they can express and work through their complex emotions.
3. The physical aspects of male sexual trauma can vary by situation. This includes coerced anal or oral intercourse. This can have severe consequences on survivors’ physical and emotional well-being. It’s important to address physical injuries or health concerns resulting from the abuse. I am board certified in family health, adult-adolescent mental health, and psychiatric mental health, with special training in sex therapy. I was also a sexual assault forensic examiner in NYC. Once we have established trust and you feel safe, we can discuss both physical and psychological concerns. I provide comprehensive care to promote healing.
Seeking Help and Moving Towards Healing
Dr. Raymond Zakhari, NP, is a trusted healthcare professional who helps male survivors of sexual abuse. With his extensive experience and compassionate approach, he creates a safe and supportive space for men to heal from the trauma of sexual abuse. By using a framework guided by both practice and research, Dr. Zakhari develops personalized assessment and intervention protocols to address the unique needs of each survivor.
Taking the first step towards healing can be challenging, but it’s essential to remember that seeking help is a courageous act of self-care. Male survivors of sexual abuse deserve to be heard, validated, and supported on their journey towards recovery. If you or someone you know is struggling with the impact of male sexual abuse, don’t hesitate to make an appointment with Dr. Raymond Zakhari, NP, who is dedicated to providing compassionate care and empowering survivors to reclaim their lives.
Dr. Raymond Zakhari is a triple-board-certified nurse practitioner and provides comprehensive primary healthcare. His company Metro Medical Direct provides house calls to Manhattan and surrounding areas. He also offers Telehealth appointments.